Series: Freed: from Prison to Peace
Freed: Church is OTW...
May 31, 2020 | Mike Solorio
Freed: From Prison to Peace
“Church is OTW”
Paul knew the value of having true friends who stuck with him during difficult times. And right in the middle of this letter, he mentioned two of them—Timothy and Epaphroditus. These two guys helped shoulder the burdens for the apostle and brought him great joy.
As we consider Timmy & Epaph’s friendship profile, see how many of these qualities are present in your own life:
A Good Friend Is Reliable
- As technology increases, personal touch decreases.
- In life, those who make the most impact are those who show the most care.
- A friendship, like Rome, is not built in a day.
- Friends are people you can trust; they are reliable.
A Good Friend Is Compatible
- In friendship, we talk of compatibility—personalities that are well-suited.
- Paul called it being like-minded. Literally translated, it means equal-souled.
- Christian friends have a common goal: to serve Christ and His people.
A Good Friend Is Thoughtful
- A true friend genuinely cares for your welfare.
- In our secular world, people only care for themselves.
According to Bernard of Clairvaux, there are four stages of Christian maturity:
1. Love of self for self's sake
2. Love of God for self's sake
3. Love of God for God's sake
4. Love of self for God's sake
All of us live in one of two places:
Philippians 1:21 ("For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain”)
Philippians 2:21 ("For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus")
A Good Friend Is JoyFULL
When I think of friends, true friends, I think of the church. And this world needs friends right now!
Jesus sent out His friends into a world that needed salt and light. The Apostle Paul also sent out his friends into a world that not only needed to hear about the gospel, but who also needed to see the living gospel!
Church is on the way! Here comes church!!
Jesus called His disciples friends (John 15:15-17). What does it mean to be God's friend? What does this tell you about the importance of good friendships?
In the body of Christ, we are all spiritual brothers and sisters. But sometimes we lack good friends. How you can become better friends with fellow Christians? Here are some ideas: really listen when they speak, call them frequently, share your goals with them, buy simple gifts of appreciation, be there for them during the big moments of life (births, birthdays, marriage, deaths, etc.). What other ideas?
Be a friend no matter where you are. Whether at Starbucks, grocery store, gas station, etc you can do a random act of kindness. Buy their coffee, pay for their gas, groceries. You can shop for your elderly neighbors. You can volunteer your time somewhere. Think of other ways that you can be the church!